Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: Player's Choice Video Games - Old Game Console Trade-In

Player's Choice Video Games is an online and brick & mortar video game store. Their physical store is located in Clemmons NC, while their online store can be found at www.playerschoicevideogames.com.


While recently searching for the best trade-in value for some old console hardware and games, I came across Player's Choice. They offered much better trade-in values than just about any other place online, particularly for my old console (original Xbox). This is a review of their service and pricing.
--------------------

I'll base this review on four different factors: Products Covered, Value, Service (communication), and Speed. Each will be compared with other companies offering the same service (Gamestop, Amazon.com, Ebay, Bestbuy, Target etc.)

If you don't want to spend the time reading about each part, just skip to the conclusion, as it will tell you all you need to know about using this service.

First I'll describe how their service works:
1. You find the items you want to trade in on their site, and add them to your "trade-in" cart. Any items not on their site can be added by emailing the webmaster first.
2. You decide how you want your trade-in to be reimbursed. Unlike other sites, Player's Choice offers two options: cash, or in-store credit. If you choose the in-store credit, you'll get a significantly larger amount for your stuff.
3. You ship your stuff to their address. Unlike other places, you have to cover shipping to them. You'll want to keep this in mind as large, heavy old game consoles can cost a lot to ship. I was still making more than from any other service even with the shipping, so I just went with it, but be sure to do the math so you're not losing money.
4. Wait for them to process the order. This took almost 3 weeks for me, so if you're in a rush, you don't want to use this service.
5. Get either a check in the mail, or a gift certificate code by email, and go buy something with your new cash!


1. Products Covered:
Player's Choice, unlike just about any other place out there, will add anything not already on their site for you. That means that just about any video game hardware or games you have will be worth at least a few bucks for trade-in. This was one of the main reasons I decided to try them, as most other services would only take a few of the items I had. If you have to have products added, be ready to wait a while, since the webmaster only seems to check his email every few days.
2. Value:
Player's Choice offers a better value, in cash or store credit, than just about any other place out there. I originally sold all my items on eBay for $49. After the seller was unsatisfied and made me pay her to return everything, I went to Player's Choice. They gave me just under $80 trade-in credit for everything. I would have gotten about $56 if I had chosen cash too. I could have made about $20 on Target or Amazon.com (because they only accepted a few items), and even less at GameStop.
3. Service (communication):
Despite all the great plusses in value and products accepted, this is where they fell behind. It seems that the only person running all web business is the webmaster, and the only way to contact him is by email. This would be fine if he responded more often than once a week. Any attempts to call the actual store results in being referred back to the webmaster again. On average I think I waited four days for responses from the webmaster, and several times only got responses after sending several emails demanding information. You will of course find much better service from just about any other company out there.
4. Speed:
Tied into the issues with their service is their speed of service. If you are in any rush, don't use this service, as you will find yourself waiting for a long time for any service. I think I waited at least three weeks before getting a confirmation of my order being processed. That's three weeks from when they received it. During this time I found myself trying several times to contact the webmaster about the status of my order, and only receiving vague replies after several days. Most other companies, particularly Amazon.com will offer much faster service than this.

Player's Choice Video Games offers a great value for your old consoles and games, and an even better value considering they will take many things that other stores won't. Unless you have absolutely no need for any gaming gear, I recommend getting your money as store credit, as you'll get a lot more for your stuff this way.
Unfortunately, their service and speed does not sit anywhere on par with their value or range of items. If you are an impatient person, or want to get your money right away, do not use this service. You will find yourself frustrated and disappointed. On the other hand, if you just have some old console gear or games laying around, and figure you'd like to make some money off them, go ahead and send your stuff in, then forget about it. A few weeks later you'll get your cash (without having stressed out about it), and you can go get yourself a new game or something!
Don't forget to make sure it's worth it after the shipping cost.
--------------------

I love hearing from you. If this was helpful to you in any way, please leave a quick comment letting me know!

3 comments:

  1. Ordered a NES & 3 cartridges..NES and 1 game (Super Mario/Duck Hunt) came 2 weeks later...game system was dirty and the game cartridge did not fit inside of NES...screws were also missing from NES system...second game arrived (Ms Pacman)...this game does not fit either... (still waiting on 3rd game to arrive @which will likely NOT fit either)...its going on 3 weeks now) i submitted form, online to advise of defective game system and recieved NO response. I even called the "business #, listed on website to speak with "David", on pprox 3 different occassions and, STILL, no one has called back AT all!!! The website states 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. ...This is NOT true!!!! Don't get fooled or scammed like I did...they got my $ and I got a dirty, wanna-be refurbished system that doesn't work at all!!!!! #wontgetmenexttime #buyerbeware

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I believe they pretty much stole my money I've still been waiting for my game. Their order status is broken their contact numbers don't work and the guy doesn't read emails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scam artists, false advertisers, liars. Advertise new items but send out used. Offer an extremely inconvenient return. They know what they are doing and get away with what they can. I do NOT recommend doing business with this company.

    ReplyDelete